We made this in February of this year for my facebook wife’s birthday. (I’ve been married to her on facebook since July 9, 2006. ;) She was my roommate in Davis for all 4 years. :O
-2 (12 oz.) cans of evaporated milk
-1 cup sugar
-6 large eggs
-1 tsp vanilla extract
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Find an oven-safe container that can easily fit into another. (The larger one will be for the water bath. Fill it about 3/4 full with water.)
2) In a large pan, use a wooden spoon to caramelize the sugar until it’s a light golden brown.
3) While still hot, transfer the caramelized sugar into the container, swirling it until it completely covers the bottom.
4) Combine the eggs, evaporated milk and sugar in a separate bowl. Mix until smooth, and add vanilla extract before pouring the custard mixture into the pan containing the caramel.
5) Bake for about an hour (or until center passes toothpick test). Remove from oven and allow to cool on rack. Invert onto a serving dish.