Daily Archives: July 19, 2013
This was also from our anniversary dinner! :] I think it turned out really well! We made it in bulk so leftovers could be taken home for lunch the next day. The recipe below (adapted from Laura in the Kitchen) is scaled down. Pomegranates aren’t in season and we were too lazy to bother with parsley (it’d add some nice color to this though).
Wild Rice Pilaf
-1 leek, washed with only white parts sliced
-1 carrot, peeled + diced
-1 stalk of celery, diced
-3 cups mushrooms, sliced
-1 cup wild rice
-2 tbsp EVOO
-2 tbsp unsalted butter
-1 tbsp poultry seasoning
-3 cups low sodium vegetable stock
-sea salt, to taste
-freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1) Place rice in large bowl and cover with cold water. Let it sit in the water while you saute the veggies.
2) In a gargantuan skillet, add EVOO/butter and let it preheat over medium heat.
3) Add veggies and season lightly with salt + pepper. Cook until they’ve developed some color and have cooked down a bit (~10 minutes).
4) Add vegetable stock into saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer.
5) Drain rice and add it to the veggies. Cook rice with veggies for ~2 minutes. Add stock + poultry seasoning and season with salt + pepper.
6) Bring mixture to a boil, cover the pot with a lid and turn heat down to low. Let mixture cook for ~30 minutes or until rice is tender.
7) Sprinkle with almonds + cranberries.