Pineapple Coconut Fried Rice
My friend had been dropping major hints about really wanting some more pineapple fried rice ever since the first batch I made for the epic potluck/cookout we had at the beginning of the school year.
F: I’ve never tried making it before, but I need to use up a bunch of rice, so I hope it turns out okay!
M: I’m sure it will! It’s the one I’m looking forward to having the most!
F: Oh, the pressure! ;_;
He went back for seventh helpings. :O Here’s the first version I tried making.)
I found several new recipes that I want to try out, so we’re gonna see how these go! I’ve been feeling especially kindly toward him because he gave me this awesome pillow (that’s partially why this dish is happening). <3 <3 <3 I can study in my bed now! :O
Recipe adapted from here! I forgot to add the ginger…and I also decided to throw in chicken because more protein is awesome, yayyy! I love the idea of straight-up cooking this rice in pineapple juice and coconut milk (or, well, my fudged version of coconut milk). You have no idea how amazing it smelled when I woke up to it the next morning (I love how fragrant it was *-*).
You can take out the chicken if you want to make it vegetarian, and take out the egg if you want it to be vegan? :O
F: (text) I tried out a new recipe for pineapple fried rice, if you wanna be a taste-tester!
M: (an hour later) Why are you awake?!
(11 hours later)
M: Wait, you have pineapple fried rice!?!?!?
F: Yep! I told you about it, didn’t I?
F: This morning.
M: I don’t remember what happens in the morning! You have some with you? Do you have a lot?
F: I have a giant tub. :O
M: !!!!! Can I…have some…?
F: Sure, but didn’t you order a pizza?
M: Your food beats out pizza any day! :O
Pineapple Coconut Fried Rice
-slightly more than 2 cups brown jasmine rice
-1 packet coconut milk powder + 1 cup of warm water, mixed (or just 1 cup of light coconut milk, if you have that)
-slightly more than 1/2 cup fresh pineapple juice
-1/2 cup water
-1/4 onion, diced
-1 bag frozen veggies, thawed
-4 garlic cloves, minced
-1 tsp ground ginger
-1 can pineapples, diced
-2 eggs, slightly beaten
<1 tbsp soy sauce
-1 handful raisins
-1/4 cup cashews
-1/2 lb chicken, cubed
1) Cook rice in rice cooker! Let it completely cool.
2) In a large skillet, melt some coconut oil and add in onions. Stir + cook for ~2-3 minutes.
3) Add garlic + ground ginger. Add veggies.
4) Increase heat a little bit + add a little more coconut oil + the pineapple. Stir + cook until golden.
5) In a separate skillet, cook the chicken with some coconut oil + minced garlic
6) Remove veggies/pineapple from skillet. Add more coconut oil into skillet + add the eggs. Let cook for about a minute.
6) Coconut oil that skillet again and add the rice, tossing to coat. Let sit for 1-2 minutes to crisp up + get golden. Stir + break apart pieces. Repeat until rice is crispy and golden.
7) Reduce heat to low and stir in soy sauce. Add everything you’ve cooked thus far. Throw in the raisins + cashews last, then serve!