Daily Archives: January 12, 2014
This healthier version of lemon bars was adapted from here! There’s no sugar or flour in em’! :O We couldn’t find any unsweetened shredded coconut, so we just used sweetened and I used a lot less sweetener than the original recipe called for. This resulted in a super-lemony filling with a sweet crust to balance it out. We also didn’t have coconut oil on hand, hence the butter substitution. Someday, I’ll make the legitimate version, but sometimes, you just gotta work with what you have. :O
I pilfered some lemons and pomegranates from Mekala, so in return, I transmuted the lemons into lemon bars for her and her family. :]
Lemon Bars (v. 2!)
-2 tbsp butter (can be subbed w/ 2 1/2 tbsp coconut oil)
~1 cup shredded coconut (sweetened)
-1/2 cup almond meal
-pinch of salt
-1/3 cup lemon juice
-1 tbsp lemon zest
-1/3 cup almond flour
~1/5 cup honey
1) Preheat oven to 350.
2) Line a pan w/ parchment paper. Melt butter and add shredded coconut, almond flour and salt.
3) Mix until well combined + remove from heat. Add egg and stir.
4) Pat mixture onto bottom of prepared pan + press down firmly. Bake for 10 minutes and then remove from oven.
5) Meanwhile, start preparing the filling. Beat eggs together, add remaining ingredients and beat for another 2 minutes.
6) Pour filling over baked crust + bake for ~20 minutes or until center is set.
7) Let them cool completely before cutting and serving. (These can store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days!)