Daily Archives: March 10, 2014
I haven’t been cooking much lately because March is my month of travels, which in essence means that if I so happen to cook in bulk, there will be no one around to eat it (4.5 days in Philly and 8 days in the Dominican Republic). I’ve been living at the cat shelter this past weekend (quite literally; yesterday was the first time I went home since Friday) because I found out last week that I didn’t get the teaching position. This means my days are numbered, so I’m trying to spend em’ with the people that matter a lot to me. Shannon gave her chili yesterday and she saved the last bowl for me, so I wanted to make something to give back to her since she apparently only has time to eat one meal per day and it makes me sad. D: I figured this would be good, since it covers all the basic food groups and is loaded with nutrients. :D
Recipe was adapted from here!
Thai-style Fried Rice
-3 1/4 cups brown rice
-1 1/2 tbsp panang curry paste
-1 1/2 tsp curry powder
-1 12.3 oz. block extra-firm silken tofu, cubed
-1 bag 3-pepper onion blend
-5 garlic cloves, diced
-2 eggs beaten w/ pepper, 1 tsp soy sauce
-2 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
-sweet chili sauce (to taste)
1) Be sure rice is completely cool/cold! (I didn’t do this because I didn’t feel like waiting…turned out okay, but as with most/all fried rice recipes, I’m sure this would’ve been better with cooled day-old rice.)
2) Heat skillet over medium heat + stir-fry onions til soft. Add red curry paste w/ curry powder to pan + fry until oil separates from mixture.
3) Add garlic + rice + toss thoroughly until coated w/ curry mixture + heated through.
4) If skillet is big enough, push rice to side + pour eggs into center. Cook until eggs just start to set, then mix w/ rice, tossing on high until eggs are cooked. Throw in the cubed tofu (I usually just cut it up into cubes/rectangles in its packaging to make life easier).
5) Sprinkle pepper + fish sauce evenly over top + lightly toss. Remove from heat.
6) Top with basil and sweet chili sauce!