Garlic Naan (+ Pizza Dough!)
This is another recipe I learned from my church! The pizza dough recipe is from page 250 of Chloe’s Kitchen and the Garlic Naan recipe is from pages 174-175.
-8 garlic cloves, minced
-1-1 1/2 lb. pizza dough*
-flour for rolling
-2-3 tbsp Earth Balance, melted, for brushing
1) Preheat the oven to broil.
2) Knead garlic into the dough until evenly distributed.
3) Divide dough into 6-8 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball.
4) Roll out on a lightly floured surface until ~8-in. thick.
5) Place on broiler pan or baking sheet + brush the top with melted margarine. Broil for 2 minutes, then flip using tongs and broil for another 1-1 1/2 minutes (or until puffed + lightly browned in spots).
(This makes ~1.5 pounds!)
-1 1/4 oz. package active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
-1 cup warm water, 110 degrees
-1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour + 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
-1 tbsp EVOO, + extra for brushing
-1 tsp salt
-1 tbsp sugar or maple syrup
1) In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until bubbles form (~10 minutes).
2) In a large bowl, combine flour, oil, salt, sugar + yeast mixture. Using lightly floured hands, mix until a stiff dough has formed. If dough is too sticky, sprinkle extra flour (~1 tsp at a time) as needed.
3) Place dough in large well-oiled bowl + rotate the ball of dough so it’s completely covered w/ oil. (This will prevent dough from sticking to the bowl as it rises.) Cover with a dry kitchen towel and place in a warm area until it’s doubled in volume (1-1 1/2 hours).
4) Place dough on lightly floured surface and shape into a disc. Knead for 5 minutes using the steering wheel technique** and use dough immediately, or cover tightly in plastic wrap + refrigerate or freeze for later use. Thaw to room temperature before using.
**(Steering Wheel Technique)
1) Shape dough in a disc + place 1 hand at 12 o’ clock (top of disc).
2) Fold dough in half toward 6 o’ clock. With the heel of your hand, press dough from 6-12 o’ clock. Turn dough a quarter of a turn.
3) Repeat process for 5 minutes.