Daily Archives: April 28, 2014
Tis a beautiful spring day on the farm! (Please be here to stay, spring. I’m about done with your random end-April snowstorms.) I’m not much of a morning person, but have been dutifully trying to turn myself into one because it lets me get more done each day.
It’s been almost 1.5 years since I made my list of fitness goals. I feel like an update on progress + some new goals may be in order, especially because my friend and I just administered PPD tests on each other and we think we might actually live.
1) Get my BF% down to 20%. (Ideal goal = 17-18%.)
I have no idea where I am with this one right now because I haven’t found anyone to fat-caliper me, but I am fairly certain that I’m not under 20. I do have discernible definition in my abs though, so hooray hooray!
2) Be able to deadlift 1.5x my body weight. (Ideal goal = 2x BW)
As of 09/14, I could deadlift 275 and it felt easy!
3) Be able to squat 1.5x my body weight. (Not sure what my ideal goal is yet. We’ll see what I can do.)
I’ve been lagging on this one, but I squatted 180 on 09/14 and that also felt easy, so…achievement unlocked.
4) Be able to bench press my body weight. (Same as with squats. We shall see.)
My best thus far is 125 lbs! Goal reached!
5) Run a 7 minute mile. (Ideal = sub-7).
This girl has not been running. ._.
6) Teach and perform a hula for the international festival in January.
The International Festival is held every year by PAX (my school’s international medicine/cultural interest group) to raise money for the medical service trip to the Dominican Republic (which I got to go on this year (I think I have about 5-6 posts on this; post #1 here!). Follies is annually at Carnegie Hall and raises money for the Family Refuge Center/domestic violence shelter in town.
Last year, I informally started a dance group and we performed a hula to the song, “Love and Honesty.” This year, I got to teach weekly dance classes at the gym; we performed an ‘aparima to “Ti Ti Raina.” I decided to take it a step further (probably because I really miss Na Keiki ‘O Hawai’i) and we made our own hip heis (+ armbands and headpieces). Our first priority was obviously still med school, so getting enough practicing in and all that was a struggle, but we managed to raise a substantial amount of money for both causes. :]
7) Get a resting HR of under 60. Hooray for increased stroke volume?
…I haven’t really been doing much endurance-related anything.
1) Be able to deadlift > 310 lbs.
2) Be able to squat > 215 lbs.
3) Be able to bench the “big wheels” (that’s what I like to call the 45-lb. plates).
4) Be able to do 15 pullups in 1 set.
5) Find some way to keep dance as a constant in my life.
6) Try to stretch/do some form of flexibility training for just 10 minutes/day.
7) Intervals at least once a week!
8) Get my BF down to 20% (Ideal goal = 17-18%).
9) Run a 7 minute mile.
10) …I still want all the state powerlifting records in my weight class. Hopefully, I’ll actually be able to go to a powerlifting competition sometime this or next year!