The recipe is adapted from here. The changes I made were really just because I dislike using salt and I didn’t happen to have any nutmeg. This does indeed have an egg-y sort of taste to it despite there not being any in it. I bought a tapioca loaf the other day (it was on sale and I was curious) so I used that. :] The original recipe called for 6 slices of bread, but I had enough left over for the whole loaf, so why the hell not, right? :O Waste not!
Vegan French Toast
-1 cup unsweetened Almond Breeze Almond Milk, vanilla
-1 tbsp maple syrup
-2 tbsp almond flour
-1 tbsp nutritional yeast
-1 tsp cinnamon
-12 slices tapioca bread
1) Whisk together almond milk, maple syrup, flour, nutritional yeast and cinnamon.
2) Coat each slice of bread thoroughly.
3) Heat coconut oil in large pan over medium-high heat. When it’s hot, place the bread slices in and cook for a few minutes per side until golden brown.
4) Top with powdered sugar, vegan butter, maple syrup, coconut butter, fruit butter, fresh fruit…the possibilities are endless!
(They’re pictured here with maple syrup and coconut butter.)
I decided to try out another almond waffle recipe! (Why not, right? I still had almond flour left over.) For the record, the syrup is not paleo, but meh! I made them smaller so there would be more batter to go around. The “syrup” is really good (I love the orange tang)! It doesn’t have a syrupy consistency (it’s pretty liquidy), but I didn’t want it to be too sweet.
Almond Waffles with Orange Honey Syrup
-3 egg yolks
-3 egg whites, room temperature
-1/4 cup coconut milk or milk
-1 cup almond flour
-¼ tsp salt
-1 tsp vanilla if sweet
-1 tsp maple syrup if sweet
-2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1) Preheat waffle iron.
2) In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks and milk. Add almond flour and salt. Combine until smooth. Add melted coconut oil or butter.
3) Whisk egg whites until they form moist, stiff peaks. Fold about ¼ of egg whites into batter. Fold batter into remaining egg whites in three parts.
4) Scoop 1/3 cup of batter onto a preheated and greased waffle iron. Do not smooth the top of the batter before closing the top of the iron. Close the lid gently!
5) Cook until golden brown.
Orange Honey Syrup
-1 part orange juice (or to taste)
-1.5 parts honey (or to taste)
1) Combine ingredients.
2) Drizzle onto waffle.
Still exercising the whole “use all the ingredients you own before you buy more” philosophy. These were consumed at 2 different potluck cookouts of sorts and were rather well-liked! :O Technically, this was supposed to be made in a loaf pan so it’d look more like, y’know, bread, but my muffin tin is non-stick and it also bakes a whole lot faster in there. (I also don’t need to cut it because they’re already portioned off. :D!) Recipe from fastpaleo.
-1/2 cup coconut oil
-2 tbsp honey
-1/2 tsp sea salt
-3/4 cup coconut flour
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Whisk all ingredients until there are no lumps. Pour into pan or muffin tin.
2) Bake for 25 minutes. (I used a muffin tin, so it didn’t take as long. In a pan, the original recipe said it’d take 40 minutes :O ).