One-Pot Veggies & Brown Rice
I’ve been growing my one-pot recipe collection because of boards studying. This is a super, super versatile recipe, so have at it with the experimentation! Feel free to throw in an egg or two for protein. I didn’t only because they were back at my apartment, and we had a lot of grilled chicken, fish and steak to consume. :O
One-Pot Veggies & Brown Rice
-2 cups brown rice
-1 bag frozen stir-fry vegetables
-3 cloves garlic, minced
-1 tsp ground ginger
-1 drizzle sesame oil
1) Wash rice and add into the rice cooker bowl.
2) Put all other ingredients into the pot. Feel free to throw in an egg or two for protein! Hit “start!”
3) Season with your choice of hot sauce.
I came across a bunch of “Would you rather?” questions over at Daily Moves & Grooves, and liked them a lot, so I’m transporting em’ here! :P I can completely see how answering these in a vlog would have been a better idea, but me + filming = not a good idea, at all, so BAM! Mass of text it is!
- Speak another language or get a higher degree? Since I’m already working on my 4th degree right now, I think speaking another language would be awesome. Preferably Spanish, because then mayhaps California will want me back!
- Have a beautiful singing voice or be a fantastic dancer? This is a difficult one, as two of my pipe dreams happen to be (a) singer and (b) cirque du soleil performer. I may actually have to go with fantastic dancer right now, because it encompasses several of my hobbies, as opposed to just one. (That and the fact that I’ve been told that I have a beautiful singing voice. I just lack the ability to project. :x )
- Be a CEO of a huge company or run your own small business? Run my own small business! I feel like it’d be easier to accomplish my goals while still holding onto my values and morals.
- Fly like a bird or teleport? Teleportation, hands down! I’d start a delivery company so I could earn enough to pay off my student loans, be able to go anywhere in the world for food…
- Eat only sweet food or only salty food for the rest of your life? Sweet. I’m not a fan of super-salty things.
- Do yoga or lift weights? I like them both, but…lifting weights! I want to set some state records.
- Be a SUPER fast runner be SUPER strong? Super strong! Then I could beat some national records. >_>
- Have 8 kids or no kids? Ahahahaha. No kids is what I want by default, so I’m most definitely sticking with that.
- Have a small, older home with character or design a big brand new home? I want an awesome kitchen and a dance studio + fruit trees and a vegetable/herb garden in my future house. Does the “character” in the smaller older home mean that? :]
- Watch the Today Show or Good Morning America? (I don’t think I’ve ever watched either…) I’m gonna arbitrarily pick the Today Show.
- Watch only sports or watch only BRAVO? So…I live under a rock and had no idea what BRAVO was, so I looked it up. Based on the fact that it seems to include something-something-housewives, I’m gonna go with sports, even though I give absolutely no shits about/never watch sports (other than gymnastics).
- Cook a romantic dinner at home or go to the nicest restaurant in town? Dinner at home! I think cooking with hypothetical romantic-partner-person would be more fun (and would also save a bunch of money).
- Drink beer or wine? I think I am lacking in acetaldehyde dehydrogenase, so I’m gonna go with neither. If I absolutely have to choose one, I will go with whatever my company happens to want, haha.
- Eat cookies or eat cake? Cookies because they usually don’t come with frosting. :O
- Have only brothers or have only sisters? Brothers! That’s basically how I was raised and it was pretty awesome. I can’t really imagine having a sister.
- Go to Africa or Asia? Most definitely Asia.
- Eat sweet potato fries or regular fries? Sweet potato fries!
- Own an SUV or a sports car? Mmm…for practicality purposes, possibly an SUV. But gas-guzzling! :[ Augh!
- Have a personal chef or a personal trainer? A personal chef who’d divulge their recipes to me. I am my own personal trainer. :O
- Sleep for 9 hours every night but no coffee, or sleep for 6 hours a night and have coffee? I sleep for 5-6 hours a night without coffee. I need more hours in a day.
- Read a book or watch a movie? Mmm, at present, watch a movie.
- Live on the east coast or west coast? I miss California. West!
- Have your toenails painted or your fingernails painted? Toes! I hate feet and since I play piano, I can’t really let my fingernails grow much anyway.
- Go to the beach or the mountains? Beach! I live in the mountains right now and it still feels weird to be landlocked.
If you’d like, join in and answer some/all of these in a post or the comments! :]
While we’re on the subject of link-ups and such, go check out Delicious Dish Tuesday over at Eat Drink & Be Mary!
窩蛋牛肉飯 (Eggs & Beef Over Rice)
My parents were pretty worried that I was going to starve to death in grad school, or that I would die of malnutrition because I wouldn’t have time to make food for myself. Hence, they alerted me of the wonder that is known as rice cooker meals. (And what Asian household is complete without a ricecooker?) Although I guess, technically, it isn’t actually an all-Asian household, but we take our shoes off at the door, use the dishwasher for storage, own a ricecooker, and use the heater as sparingly as possible. It’s close enough for me.)
I will admit, though, this is pretty freaking awesome. I knew you could make congee with a ricecooker, but for some reason, I never stopped to think about the fact that you can use a ricecooker to make things other than, or more than…rice. Who woulda thought?
窩蛋牛肉飯 (Eggs & Beef Over Rice)
-½ lb ground beef
-2 tbsp soy sauce
-1 tbsp sugar
-1 tsp cornstarch
-1-2 tbsp cold water
-½-1 tbsp oil
-preserved vegetables (if none, add ½ an onion, minced, and/or sparing amounts of salt)
1) Start cooking rice. Combine beef, sugar, cornstarch, soy sauce, vegetables and oil. Compress into cake-like form.
2) Add beef mixture into rice cooker (make sure there’s still water in rice cooker to steam the beef). Break an egg over the top while the rice is still hot. Wait until rice is done cooking, then serve.
A variation of this can be done with chicken, 2 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp cornstarch, 1 tbsp sugar, and green onions. Just marinate the chicken overnight, or at least for a couple hours.