I believe this is the last of the your-own-posts Spill It, Sundays, so I’m leaving you with these three! I’ve been blogging less recently because of orientation, moving, not having internet (etc.). I’ve actually run out of scheduled posts (noooo!) for the time being, so getting everything written months ahead again is going to be somewhat difficult, what with another exam coming up, more moving (I’m still only 1/3 of the way moved in), and [hopefully, assuming that all goes well…] rotations starting up. In short, life has been pretty hectic.
The internet was supposed to get set up yesterday, but the people never showed up despite 2 earlier confirmations that they would, and never picked up the phone during/after the window of time they said they’d arrive in, so we’ve blacklisted them for the time being. In the meantime, I’m borrowing my neighbor’s wireless because he’s a wonderful and super-nice soul. :D (For serious, he met up with me yesterday for 2.5 hours to give me advice on my upcoming year.) My friends here all seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth, so I’ve been feeling rather alone and would love to head back to WV, but can’t because of the whole internet situation (the company I called is supposed to come on Monday morning).
Since I neglected to bring any of my pots/pans/utensils with me and canceled all my credit cards (my wallet’s probably “lost” in one of those boxes), I’ve been living on fruit, smoothies, free lunches, and leftovers from said free lunches for the past week. :O I’ve also been partaking in the free fitness classes offered at my hospital’s gym, and the ones I’ve done so far (Zumba with weights + one that’s akin to Insanity but with fun music) have made me realize that I have pretty much lost any endurance that I may have at one point possessed. This is really saddening and needs to change. D:
This week’s Fitness Favorites is on our favorite fuel (food, supplements, hydration, recovery, etc.)! This week, I’m pairing it with this week’s Spill It, Sundays theme because the themes overlap! …This is also because I’m currently in CA and eating the world, saving the world (aka replaying Chrono Trigger) and spending time with my friends/family, so I’ve been kinda absent from the blogging world, despite my earlier ambitions to switch my blog to self-hosted during my luxuriously long summer vacation (5 days).
Just kidding. There is no VIP lounge at that airport. I’m hanging out in my friend’s office and we parked two chairs together to make me a “bed.” My pillow is composed of a towel covering a giant plastic bag of a bunch of plastic bags. Yepyep. High-rollin’. (It was really, really comfortable, actually. I slipped into a coma for a couple hours.)
My favorite way to start the day in the summer (hooray for warm weather!!!) is usually with a smoothie of some kind.
As far as supplements go, I like Cytosport 100% Whey Protein (Chocolate) because it’s pretty inexpensive (as far as protein powder goes), especially when you get it from Costco!
For hydration, I adore coconut water.
Come join in on Fitness Fav Fridays! :]
A couple weeks ago, I came across this huge list of different types of grilled cheese sandwiches you could make and was rather intrigued. This is weird on a whole host of levels because I’m really not a big fan of cheese. In moderation, sure, but only with the more mild sorts, and even then, I can only stomach small amounts. (Yeah, I’m probably somewhat lactose-intolerant. Who needs you anyway, lactase!? >:[ )
The recipe was adapted from here! As per usual, I adapted it to whatever we had in the kitchen.
Fig & Honey Basil Grilled Cheese
-1 tsp honey
-1/2 oz goat cheese
-1 slice whole wheat bread
-2 dried figs, halved
-3 basil leaves, thinly sliced
1) Lightly toast the bread. Spread goat cheese on one side and honey on the other. Add lemon zest, figs and basil leaves.
2) Cut sandwich in half and stick it on the foreman grill for 2-3 minutes.
This (and I think the next couple weeks’ worth) week’s Spill It, Sundays is on showcasing past blog posts/recipes! :] I’m a big fan of this idea because this blog was pretty much a private blog for so many years, there are tons of recipes that have gotten lost in the archives (until I [a] finish with boards and get on self-hosting this blog, and [b] figure out a good way to archive my recipes/have an awesome recipe index).
I had a bag of baby Yukon gold potatoes that I’d gotten for 99 cents (yay for manager’s specials at Kroger!) that I needed to use up, so I rescued them from my apartment and brought them over to Linda’s so that we could use up the mountains of fresh dill she had. (We’re trying to clean out our respective refrigerators, so it’s somewhat of a joint process.)
I didn’t think to drizzle in some sriracha sauce until I’d already eaten most of it, but I’d recommend you try it with that! Gives it an extra kick! :D
Greek Yogurt Mashed Potatoes
-10 baby Yukon gold potatoes
-1 cup Fage 0% Greek Yogurt (Plain)
-2 tbsp Homestead Creamery 2% milk
-1 tbsp garlic, minced
-sea salt, to taste
-freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
-drizzle of sriracha sauce (not pictured)
1) Wash potatoes and peel skin.
2) Fill a pot with just enough water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil, then let simmer on medium heat for ~15 minutes, or however long it takes them to be tender enough to mash with a fork (or potato masher, if you happen to possess one).
3) Add greek yogurt and milk to the potatoes and mash to your desired consistency.
4) Add salt, pepper, dill and sriracha sauce until the flavor is to your liking.
(Please excuse the messy sides of the bowl. I decided to save bowls/water and just mashed em’ up in the bowls we’d be eating in.)
This week’s Spill It, Sundays theme is “5 Facts!” :]
Five facts about…your family!
- I have one older brother! We were born 13 months apart and he’s one of my best friends.
- We used to beat each other up all the time, but when I was around 12, we made a pact to stop fighting and have actually kept the peace ever since then!
- My parents are awesome and I love em’. :D They are super chill, as far as Asian parenting goes. I’ve never had a curfew (although to be fair, I never did anything with my lack of curfew either, so that might be why).
- My dad has a somewhat twisted sense of humor though. When I injured my neck and couldn’t turn my head or look down, he’d drop money in front of me and laugh because I wouldn’t notice. :[ These days, he tells me I’m fat and I flex my biceps at him and tell him it’s not good to insult people who can beat him up.
- My mom is of the variety of human being who only eats it because she has to in order to live. This makes me sad, so I’m constantly trying to make awesome things when I’m home to change her mind.
Five facts about…your childhood!
- All my family friends my age were guys, so I grew up very much a tomboy and was really upset that I wasn’t allowed to do all the things that they could do (e.g. pee standing up, join boy scouts, etc.).
- I’m still a little sad that because I refused to do anything “girly” (see #1), I passed up gymnastics/singing/dance as a kid. Better late than never though, right?
- My parents didn’t know what we’d be interested in as kids, so they just had us try everything. I think this was an awesome philosophy, but unfortunately, I like everything, so I keep picking up new hobbies and keeping all the old ones. I want/need more hours in a day.
- I’m super grateful that my mom got me started on music when I was little. :] It’s still one of my favorite ways to de-stress and for a couple years, was also what paid for my livelihood through college.
- I wrote in paper journals for ages (regularly since 2000) and have had an online journal since 2001, but med school has not been conducive to my paper-journalling, so I switched over to exclusively blogging. I still miss the paper sometimes, but time will always be an issue.
Five facts about…you + school!
- I double-majored in Exercise Biology and Music Performance in undergrad. I had the most amazing professors on the face of the planet and was living with my best friends, so even though I was taking 8-12 classes per quarter (while doing a billion other things), it was an awesome experience, and my last two years there still remain as some of the best times of my life thus far.
- I am about 2 classes away from having an associate’s in Athletic Training (so close, yet so far!).
- I moved across the country for a year to do an accelerated master’s program at UMDNJ in Biomedical Sciences.
- I’m currently in medical school!
- I have, on more than one occasion, been called a degree slut. I promise I’m stopping after the med school degree?!
Five facts about…you + travel!
- My mom loves to travel, so I (very eagerly) get dragged along on her adventures when my schedule allows for it. This is actually how/why I ended up on a 12-day cruise through the Mediterranean a couple weeks before taking my MCAT. Perhaps not the best of ideas, but Greece was involved and I couldn’t turn it down. It turned out okay though, because hooray! I made it into med school.
- To date, my favorite places are Hong Kong, Greece, Thailand and Hawai’i.
- I’d also love to go on another medical service trip! I went to the Dominican Republic over spring break this year and it was awesome.
- I love to travel, but I’m not a very big fan of long plane rides. On the plus side, I can fall asleep anywhere and don’t get affected by jet lag, so it’s not as bad as it could be.
- Somewhere in South America, Tahiti, and Costa Rica are on my bucket list!
Five facts about…your eating style!
- This one throws people off, but I’ve never knowingly eaten bacon. (My friends like to refer to my church as the “no-bacon-church.”)
- I like durian, but no one likes to associate with me if I eat it. :[
- For the most part, I like to eat healthy, but I always designate a cheat meal/day for the week. This is usually Saturday, because my church makes amazing food.
- …but I’m also very gifted at packing down alarming quantities of food in one sitting, especially if it’s food that I really like. My friends can attest to this. :O
- I most likely have a missing or mutated acetaldehyde dehydrogenase enzyme (why hello, Asian glow, palpitations, nausea and terrible times!), so I can’t/don’t drink alcohol. This is perfectly fine with me though, because alcohol is expensive, and I would much rather eat good food instead. :]
I’m aware that it’s not actually Sunday yet, but I have another post reserved for tomorrow and this doesn’t actually have to be done on Sunday, soooo…
I’m joining in on Spill It, Sundays, which is a weekly linkup to get to know more about different food/fitness/healthy lifestyle bloggers outside of those aforementioned parameters. Arman is a fellow Recipe ReDuxer, and you can find out more about Spill It, Sundays over here!
98% of the pictures on my phone are reserved for pictures of food (that I’ve made, others have made, etc…basically food that I’m eating), so I’m horrible with this whole selfie thing. I’m going to leave you instead with an adorable Toothless bank I found at Walmart. I want a pet dragon. I’m also including a disclaimer that most of the posts I write are written and scheduled into the future, so most of this was actually written halfway through the week. :x
The last….person you spoke to?
- I pretty much live in my study room right now (see here for the fully mapped out picture of said study room), so I really only interact with my housemate (I really only see her on weekends because she’s always working and I’m always studying) and my friend Pixie, who studies in the room across the hall from me. We communicate by way of dry-erase markers on our respective windows, so as not to disturb each other’s study-progress.
The last…sweet food you ate?
- Sasha bought this super fancy Congo Vanilla Nib 65% dark chocolate for Pixie, who gave most of it to me because she didn’t want to eat all of it. :O
The last…savoury food you ate?
- I made a tuna salad to put on my bagel this morning. Recipe will follow in a couple weeks…(I schedule everything into the future, haha.)
The last…blog you visited?
- Mommy’s Getting Strong. She’s on my GGSA team and had a recipe for grilled chicken and mango avocado salsa that looks absolutely amazing. <3
The last…blog you commented on?
- Suzlyfe! She’s hilarious and I love her posts (and food pictures <3)!
The last…recipe you tried out?
- I’m half-assuming that this means trying out a recipe that someone else made…so that would be Sweet & Spicy Dijon-Encrusted Salmon! (Made by another fellow Recipe ReDuxer!) It’s been a while! I’ve been branching out and coming up with my own stuff from scratch lately (:O!!!)!
The last…item you pinned on Pinterest?
- Honey Ginger Glazed Chicken with Green Tea Jasmine Rice! :O It looks amazing.
The last…TV show you watched?
- I am hopelessly behind on all the TV shows in the world, except perhaps Game of Thrones, because my friends and I make it a point to clear out an hour on Sunday evenings to gather around for dinner/the show before we get back to our respective study hovels. It’s super srs bsns in that we don’t allow any conversation to take place while it’s playing, hahaha. I haven’t seen the season finale yet since one friend couldn’t be there last weekend, so we are waiting on him to watch it together! (Our “Leave No (Wo)Man behind policy.)
The last…trip you took?
- I went home in early May for Mother’s Day and to reassure my family/friends that I was in fact still alive. It was awesome to be back, but in retrospect, I really should’ve just stayed here to study. :[
The last…time you spent money and on what?
Groceries! That’s about the only thing I ever spend money on anymore. :O It’s also the only thing (other than things required for school) that I allow myself to splurge on, because student loans suck. This was my grocery haul from last night!
- 1 Simple Truth container of organic mint
- 1 Simple Truth Organic 50/50 blend of spring mix/baby spinach
- 1 10 oz. tub Fresh Selections Baby Spring Mix
- 1 Fresh Selections Southwest Chopped Salad kit
- 3 10-oz. containers fresh blueberries
- 1 Homestead Creamery orange milk
- 1 Bear Naked Cranberry Almond bar
- 5 Yoplait Greek yogurts (Black Cherry, Tropical, Peach, Strawberry, Mixed Berry)
- 3 Kroger Greek yogurt (Peach, Pomegranate, Mixed Berry)
All for $21! :D