101 in 1001 (10/16/11-04/03/14)
Many people have created lists in the past – frequently simple goals such as New Year’s resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organizing and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.
Note: One thing I’ve learned is to attempt to refrain from putting other people into these goals. When they disappear from your life, it makes it kinda hard to complete that particular goal. Although if you follow my logic, I was hoping they’d stay in my life, so although I should learn from this, I probably won’t.
The Criteria: Tasks must be specific (i.e., no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (i.e., represent some amount of work on my part).
Start: October 16, 2011
Finish: April 3, 2014
Goal = lifestyle incorporations (continuous & in progress)
Goal = completed
This will be both a continuation of everything I didn’t get done last time (the feasible things), along with a bunch of new goals. A lot has changed since the start of 2009, some for the better, some not so much, but in any case, I was not anywhere near successful in completing everything off my last list, but I did finish the ones that mattered most to me. I had to majorly revamp a number of things on the last list, and there is no guarantee that the same will not happen to this one, but here we go again!
Self-Improvement / Health+Fitness
1. Run a 7 minute mile (less would be even better). [currently at 7:20!]
2. Be able to lift at least 1.5x my body weight. [215 in mid-April 2013, 275 in September 2013!]
3. Body fat => 17%!
4. Continue lifting/strength training 3x/week. (Exceptions unfortunately apply during exam weeks.)
5. Continue running/doing some form of endurance activity 3x/week.
6. Be more open/better at communicating with others. (I think I’ve definitely gotten a lot better with this one, but there’s always room for more improvement.)
7. Try to get in flexibility training/stretching for at least 10-15 minutes each day. (Be able to do the “pancake” stretch and get splits back on both sides.)
8. Before I get annoyed/frustrated with someone/something, ask self if it’ll still matter to me in 5 years. If not, let it go.
9. Give more of a crap/Put a little more effort into how I look when it counts (e.g. interview, meeting patients). [In other words, learn to do makeup/hair so you don’t look like a complete slob.]
10. Keep following IIFYM!
14. Enter a powerlifting competition. (06/01/2013)
15. Be able to do 15 pull-ups in 1 set.
1) Volunteer whenever you can (at least 1x a month would be ideal).
2) Volunteer at no-kill shelter as a dog-walker/cat-cuddler.
3. Volunteer as a music entertainer at Greenbrier Manor. (February 2013-June 2013)
4. Teach weekly hula/Tahitian during second year. (Get “certification” in summer 2013)
1. Graduate from UMDNJ (Spring 2012). [05/23/2012]
2. Finish my research at the Elizabeth M. Boggs Center (Spring 2012).
3. Continue volunteering at PHAC whenever I’m home.
4. Start medical school (Fall 2012).
5. Apply for a GTA position in anatomy(!!!). [I didn’t get the position.]
6. Choose and stick to
two…seven…clubs to be an active part of, at the absolute most (Family Medicine, Sports Medicine, PM&R, EM, PAX, MSFC, Atlas). (I”m only going to be selectively active, I swear!!!)
7. Develop a good study system for med school!
8. Get an officer position in a club I care about. (Secretary of ACOFP!)
9. Go to the EM conference in San Diego. (10/05/13-10/08/13)
10. Find out where I’m going for rotations. [12/02/13: Ashland, Kentucky!]
11. Get into a good rotation site with my closest friends. ;_; [12/02/13: All four of us made it in!]
12. Continue volunteering at Please Save A Cat & Friends For Life, Inc. for as long as possible.
13. Volunteer at least 340 hours by 03/30/13. [400-something/340]
14. Get the Platinum award for TOUCH hours! (Award won’t actually be given until the end of April, but the calendar year for TOUCH hours is 03/31/14.)
15. Finish adding to/editing CV and send it to someone to look at.
16. GTA Interview (02/03/14). […That didn’t go well at all, but hooray for interviewing experience?]
17. Run for national office at ACOFP conference. (03/13/14-03/16/14)
1. Set up a budget so I can live frugally but comfortably while avoiding being in debt forever. Stick to it. [Try to spend less than $9000 on rent/living/food/transportation/etc. over the next year.]
2. Continue to keep track of everything I spend.
3. Don’t buy any new products unless I’m running low/completely out of the product. Any purchase I make should be a good investment towards something.
4. Donate or sell everything I don’t need/want. Sell clothes at a consignment store.
5. Complete the new FAFSA.
6. Apply for at least 2 scholarships that I qualify for. [1/2]
7. Cook whenever possible and eat out as little as possible. Exceptions apply when I’m home and hanging out with friends+family.
1. Get belay-certified. (10/27/2011)
2. Take aerial silks/lyra/pole dancing in NY. [lyra + pole; 1 each]
3. Pole Dancing
- Crescent Moon (Summer 2012)
- Superman (Summer 2013)
- Iguana Mount (Summer 2012)
4. Renew CPR certification. (05/29/2012)
5. Practice handstands.
6. Take classes at Twirly Girls when I’m home.
7. Learn to give a good massage. (Took couples massage with Melanie! 10/25/11-11/15/11)
8. Learn BJJ from Dan and wrestling from Mike so I can be supah badass!
9. Take BJJ classes back home. (Winter Break 2013) [3/5]
10. Cooking class with my church! (Samples here, here, here, and here.)
11. Salsa classes at Carnegie! (Monday evenings)
1. Go to Hong Kong/Taiwan. (Summer 2012)
2. Go to Philly for the ACOFP conference. (03/13/14-03/16/14)
3. Biking in WV. (08/2013)
4. Dominican Republic medical volunteer trip. (Spring break 2014) [Each word is a different link about a different day(s).]
Family & Friends
1. Hang out with my family whenever I’m home-home.
2. Keep in touch and stay close to the people I’m close to now.
3. Music reunion. (01/06/2012-01/08/2012)
4.Have Thanksgiving dinner with the president of the school. (Thanksgiving 2013)
5. Food expeditions/hang outs with 6F/everyone else back at home. [7/5+]
6. Some kind of outing with Mekala, Sylvia and Kaitlin. (
Winter 2011, 2012, 2013)
7. Hang out with Whitney/Becca at least once a year. [3/3+]
8. Visit my favorite teachers/professors in Davis. (Memorial Day weekend)
9. Visit Keat in Boston. (Thanksgiving 2011.)
10. Go to med school prom.
11. Visit Whitney & Trish while you’re in Philly. (03/13/14-03/16/14)
12. Community Harvest Dinner in Lewisburg! (11/09/13)
13. Hang out/have some kind of awesome meal with my band during Thanksgiving break! (2013)
14. Go shooting with Linda & Scott! (03/02/14)
Venturing Out (of Comfort Zone)
1. Try something you’ve never done before. [5/5]
- Rocky Horror Picture Show
- Started learning Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
- Auditioned for/got into Greenbrier Valley Chorale
- …Got flashed at a Steel Panther concert
- Teaching/choreographing a hula and performing it!
2. Be part of a pole dancing performance. (Pole cleaner for Twirl For A Cause AIDS Walk Fundraiser! :P )
3. Perform in Carnegie Hall. (If things work out, I believe I’ll be singing, dancing, and playing piano in Carnegie this [1st year second] semester!) (03/02/13)
4. Perform in Follies 2013. (03/02/13)
5. Do something for the PAX International Festival 2013. (Modeled in the fashion show and taught/performed a hula! Hoping that I’ll be able to teach Tahitian/hula for next year’s!)
6. Do something for the Human Gift Registry Memorial Service. (05/17/13 – Played piano + sang!)
7. Enter the ring girl competition. (11/01/13-11/02/13)
8. Perform in PAX International Festival 2014. (02/21/14)
- Fashion show
- Bollywood Fusion
9. Go for 5 more things that you’ve never done before! [5/5]
- Be in a med school band (The Vagal Tones)
- #8 runner for Treadmill Wars (and #3 for my class!! no waizzz)
- Organize a fundraiser for Please Save A Cat & Friends For Life, Inc. (Treat Swap in 11/2013!)
- Participate in The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap 2013.
- Choreograph a dance for the Mr. WVSOM guys. (01/2014-02/2014)
10. Perform in at least one event with The Vagal Tones. [1/1]
11. Perform in Follies 2014. (03/01/14)
1. Get a bread maker. [yay for awesome deals on ebay!]
2. Get a pole for my apartment. [09/2012]
3. Get more professional-lookin’ clothing. [I love you, Jun! <3 <3 <3]
4. Get an ice cream maker. [hooray for Black Friday pre-sale deals and the $25 gift card I won at Casino night while at UMDNJ!)
5. Get a Foreman grill. [Thank you, Florence! <3]
6. Get a dehydrator. (Thank you, Mr. WVSOM boys! :D )
1. Finish at 3 more RPGs. [2/3] — (Completed: FFIII, Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure; Tales of Phantasia, FFVII, Chrono Cross, FFIV, Children of Mana, Rune Factory III in progress!)
2. Find out my blood type.
3. Repierce my right ear. (Thanksgiving 2011)
4. Pray every night.
5. Continue updating blog semi-regularly.
6. Repierce my left ear. (06/07/2012)
7. Be in another photoshoot! (06/2013)
8. Sign up to be a bone marrow donor. [rejected in 02/2012 :[ ]
9. Donate blood. (02/25/13)
10. Fix my spine. :[ (numerous 6-mile walks to the chiropractor in winter of 2012)
11. Start coming up with recipes for The Recipe Redux. :]!
12. Make a new 101 in 1001 list.
Completed/In Progress (continuous): 31
Pingback: restart | fairyburger